Product Mechanical Design Engineer
Chowbotics is at the forefront of bringing automation into the food industry as part of DoorDash. We develop and ship robots that enable convenience through food automation. Our robots are often characterized as compact micro-restaurants that can provide customizable, fresh, healthy meals in closer proximity to consumers than any other food source. We are a team of engineers and manufacturing innovators that have exciting plans for scaling and developing new and more advanced food robots.
The product design engineer will collaborate with engineering and other functions to develop designs for mechanical components and systems using Solidworks CAD models.
What You’ll Do
- Create and revise solid models and detailed drawings of complex components and assemblies from design layouts, marked prints, and verbal instructions.
- Operate within a product lifecycle management environment to specify parts and assemblies, create product structure, and receive/complete tasks.
- Establish component tolerances in accordance with manufacturing capabilities.
- Apply design for manufacturability, design for assembly, and design for field serviceability concepts to emerging designs.
- Perform tolerance analysis and validation.
- Participate in design review activities, defend your designs.
- Assist in establishment of basic project design objectives and in the selection of design approaches.
- Develop and obtain prototype parts for testing and pre-production activities.
- Participate in Engineering and Design Validation testing activities.
What We’re Looking For
- BS/EE and at least seven (7) years of industry experience in vending or refrigerated cabinet systems.
- Expert-level understanding of Solidworks 3D CAD and simulation tools.
- Understanding of industry standards and compliance standards.
- Expert-level understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience with plastic part design, 3D printing, and injection molding tooling design.
- Experience with sheet metal design and solid CNC metal designs.
- A highly motivated driver of the concepts of design for manufacturability, design for testability, design for assembly, and design for field serviceability.
- Ability to manage time and work effectively while being self-motivated.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Nice to Have
- Experience with refrigerated cabinet design in the vending industry.
- Experience managing ECOs and other manufacturing knowledge.
- An innovative mindset that allows the use of intellectual horsepower in dealing with ambiguity and solving problems.
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders – Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers – We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do — on every project, every day.
- We are learners – Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer-obsessed – Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash – The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in all 50 US states, Canada, and Australia. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash Engineering blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.