Robotics Integration (Software/Firmware) Engineer– Chowbotics Food Robotics
Chowbotics is at the forefront of bringing automation into the food industry as part of DoorDash. We develop and ship robots that enable convenience through food automation. Our robots are often characterized as compact micro-restaurants that can provide customizable, fresh, healthy meals in closer proximity to consumers than any other food source. We are a team of engineers and manufacturing innovators that have exciting plans for scaling and developing new and more advanced food robots.
The Robotics Integration (Software/Firmware) Engineer will be an integral part of our robotics development team and will assist in architecting, designing, and building the next generation of food robots. You’ll be deeply involved in selecting hardware and supporting hardware integrations at the firmware and software level.
What You’ll Do
- Design and implement robotic systems and subsystems from start to finish
- Participate in selecting mechatronics hardware to accomplish business goals
- Write firmware enabling support of OTS and custom (i.e. undocumented) actuators and sensors
- Write Linux drivers to enable control of actuators and sensors
- Write ROS nodes to expose actuators and sensors to our application-level software
- Work with Senior Mechanical and Controls Engineer, Robotics to implement control algorithms in code at the firmware and software levels
- Design and assemble bench level prototypes for different components and subsystems
- Design tests and reports for different components, subsystems, and control algorithms
- Write custom GUIs for sensor / actuator / algorithm interfacing and tuning
- Write custom GUIs for test reports, self-tests, manufacturing tests, more tests than you can imagine
What We’re Looking For
- Degree in Robotics, Engineering or Computer science and 3+ years of experience
- Academic or industry mechatronics experience
- Excellent coding skills in C++
- Proficient in Linux
- Experience with real-time systems, hardware interfaces, and distributed architectures (system of systems)
- Experience with Qt or other GUI toolkit
- Proficient in industrial control system network design
- Hands on experience with robots
- Experienced with version control tools such as git
- Robotic mechatronics troubleshooting skills
- Self-driven and able to execute with limited supervision
Nice to Have
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience with recursive Bayesian estimators like Kalman/Particle filters, sensor fusion, and/or controls is a major bonus
- Experience with systems design/engineering is another major plus
- Experience delivering production code in a production environment
- Prior experience with vision systems
- Well-versed in computer science, applied physics, and mechanics
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders – Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers – We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do –on every project, every day.
- We are learners – Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer – obsessed-Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash – The magic of DoorDash is our people,together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in all 50 US states, Canada, and Australia. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash Engineering blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’swhy we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.