Senior Robotics Software Engineer – Chowbotics Food Robotics
Chowbotics is at the forefront of bringing automation into the food industry as part of DoorDash. We develop and ship robots that enable convenience through food automation. Our robots are often characterized as compact micro-restaurants that can provide customizable, fresh, healthy meals in closer proximity to consumers than any other food source. We are a team of engineers and manufacturing innovators that have exciting plans for scaling and developing new and more advanced food robots.
The Senior Robotics Software Engineer will be an integral part of the robotics development team. You will be the principal software architect of our next generation of food robots. In addition to designing the overall application-layer software architecture of our system, you will be designing and implementing behavior, motion planning, and inverse kinematics systems on prototype (i.e. undocumented) hardware.
What You’ll Do
- Design application-layer, middleware, and firmware software architecture for robotic handling system
- Design and implement motion planning system for robotic motion platforms
- Design and implement inverse kinematics solver for multi-axis redundant robots
- Design and implement firmware interface and messaging architecture
- Implement a minimum-level GUI for operation of the software stack
- Work with Robotics Integration (Software/Firmware) Engineer to implement sensors and actuators in application-level software
- Work with other engineers to define and run tests and generate reports
- Work with engineering teams to develop software requirements and specifications
- Supporting, troubleshooting and/or improving software and related hardware for new and existing equipment and manufacturing systems
- Creating and/or updating software specifications and documentation
- Collaborate closely with hardware and software engineers on design, development, and testing
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Engineering, Robotics with 5+ years (7+ preferred) as a software engineer in a similar role
- Masters in Robotics or similar experience
- Excellent coding skills in C++
- Expert in ROS (particularly MoveIt!), Linux, and hardware integrations
- Experience architecting complex, multi-layered software projects
- Experience writing multi-threaded code
- Experience deploying motion planning systems in production environments
- Experience working with real time systems
- Demonstrated ability to perform requirements-driven software design
- Demonstrated ability in writing performant, scalable code
- Dedication to test-driven development and designing production-ready systems
Nice to Have
- Experience with behavior-based architectures
- Experience with different inverse kinematic solvers
- The closer your experience has been to actual hardware targets vs. gazebo, the better
- Experience with recursive Bayesian estimators like Kalman/Particle filters, sensor fusion, and/or controls is a major bonus
- Experience with systems design/engineering is another major plus
- Experience implementing GUIs
- Experience developing on ARM compute targets
- Prior experience with vision systems
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders – Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers – We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do –on every project, every day.
- We are learners – Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer – obsessed-Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash – The magic of DoorDash is our people,together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in all 50 US states, Canada, and Australia. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash Engineering blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’swhy we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.